Monday, September 30, 2013

Series: Bible in a Year with your Kids Intro Post

I just finished reading the book Together, Growing Appetites for God by Carrie Ward.  In it she talks about how she started reading the Bible to her kids when the oldest was 4.5 year old.  I, myself, have never read the Bible in its entirety and after prayer felt the need to implement this into Conner and my lives.  We started today reading the Bible in chronological order!

Catch up with the series here.


My goals:
     1.  Every Sunday post about what you should read and maybe how we applied it. 
     2.  I am going to be making notebooking pages to go along with it.  I am going to strive
          for 1 page a day. These will be geared to younger elementary.
     3.  I will also have some questions and other verses to help you grow and expand the
          knowledge of our kids in the Word of God.

Along with this, I am also going to be helping Conner to memorize the Books of the Bible.  I figured a year at it slowly, he should make it easily!  I put a  poster board in the kitchen for us to update along our journey.



The only thing you need to join us is a Bible.  If you don't have a Bible, check out You Version online.  I have The Reformation Study Bible ESV and Conner has the Seek and Find ESV Bible. 


Can you carve out 30-60 minutes a day to read and soak in the Word of God with your kids?  If you can and want to join us, please follow me by e-mail and get ready to embark on this journey with us!  Right now, I am planning on doing ours either at breakfast or right after lunch once I put the baby down for his nap.

I will put the post up Sunday with your readings and activity packet,  Hope to see you then!!

Blessings!! 

Link to:      Week 1

Places you can find me link to.

18 comments:

  1. What a great idea! God is good. I would love to see your activity packet.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I've been reading "Leading Little Ones to God" but have realized that my younger daughter doesn't know the Bible stories like my oldest. We DID a lot of Bible reading when she was her sister's age, and for some reason I've slacked on reading the Word with my younger ones. Thanks for motivating me to get back to the Bible!

    I would like to see your notebooking pages.

    Found you on Titus 2 Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I came over from Titus 2 Tuesday. This is my second year of reading the Bible in Chronological order. (And yes, I'll probably do it again). I love it! It helps with context and history. I keep an open Word document on my desktop while I read, and copy and paste verses that 'speak to me' - for later reference and thought. I use the biblehub.com website, because I can always access commentaries, sermons, encyclopedia, and cross-references. I know you might not use all this with little ones, but it never hurts to show you studying while they're studying. I'll bet those notebook/activity packets will be priceless. Thanks for sharing this. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is awesome! Many blessings to you and Conner.

    Carrie Ward

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you from Fireflies and Jellybeans! (I'm a new email subscriber). One thing, with being a mom, is I find it so hard to have time to read the Word like I really want to. Reading it with the kids will definitely help. I feel stupid that I never thought of this before! lol!

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great goal! Blessings on your journey :) Thanks so much for sharing at After School.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to do this, too! Am now following your blog! Looking forward to seeing your notebooking pages. Stopping by from Weekly Wrap Up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love the ESV Bible. I have not see the Seek and Find I might have to look at that for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. may I share the link to this page on my fb page as well as with others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you may! Thank you so much for sharing!

      Blessings!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for linking up at Homemakers Challenge DIY Accomplished!

    We have this same Bible. It is a great one for general reading time as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea!! I read my daughter's story book bible every night to her. She begs us to read it to her. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun idea! I only first read the Bible cover to cover a couple of years ago, and am aiming to do so again this year. (Um, I'm behind already....) Looking forward to your shares, and thanks for linking up with the 52 Weeks series! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to start this with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  14. THANK YOU! My little girl is just about to turn one, and I've been trying to find resources on how to teach her Jesus' Word. I love the poster idea of adding one book of the Bible at at time to help your little boy memorize them. Thank you for your ministry and helping other women be teachings of their flock!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking up! Thank you for your commitment to sharing this resource! Hope to see you link up this week too!!

    ReplyDelete