Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Mystery of History Lessons 19-24


Here is a glimpse of our last 2 weeks worth of Mystery of History!

Lesson 19 Moses and the Exodus
First off I made red jello.  You will need cool whip and mini marshmallows and some lego people.


Next you cut the jello up into small squares, then add cool whip for the waves.


I had him use a stick to separate the waters like Moses.  Then, he started taking Moses and his people across the Red Sea!


Uh, oh!  Here comes those Egyptians!!  


Time for the Red Sea to close around them!  (Just shake the container!)



Lesson 20 The Ark of the Covenant and the Tabernacle

We build a Tabernacle and the Ark of the Covenant out of Legos.


Lesson 21 Joshua, Jericho, and Rahab


He built his city, then marched his lego man around it 7 times while playing his recorder!


Then he very carefully tore his walls down!

Lesson 22 Amenhotep IV and Nefertiti

I found these a couple of years ago at a book sale.
He made his name with it.
Then I finally found the clay, so I had him make one with that.
I just had him right his name instead of doing hieroglyphics.  He was excited that he got to write with a feather!

.
Finished!  I put a string on it so he could
wear it as a necklace.

Lesson 23 King Tut


We made a Pharoh's mask for this lesson.  I used a halloween mask that I got from Amazon and 2 sheets of bigger, thicker white paper.


First, you tape the pieces together.




 Then, you use the masking tape again and tape the mask to the paper.  After that, you cut the shape you want out for your mask!

Then you turn it over and cut the back of the mask out.


Paper mache it a couple of layers.  1 part flour to 1 part water.  Then let it dry for a day.


I asked him what colors he wanted to use, and of course he said John Deere colors!


We spray painted it green first!


Then, I used painters tape to mark off the lines so that he could spray paint it yellow. 


Finished product! 

Lesson 24 Ramses II


For this lesson we set out to mummify a doll.  I bought a cheap one at the Dollar Store.  Then, I had him was it in wine.



Then he put salt on it so as to dry the body out.



We made paper mache again.  This time we used gauze instead of newspapers.


Finished project!  Courtesy of my dog, we were unable to decorate it since she took it upon herself to get it in the middle of the night and chew it up!

Crazy girl!

Blessings!!

HHH
Welcome Home Wednesdays

Hearts for Home Blog Hoplearn and link new button
Friendship FridayFor the Kids Fridays at SunScholars.com

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are some great ideas for teaching. Your kids will always remember these stories!

    I'm visiting from the 'Inspired Wednesday' blog hop. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas! I would have never thought of the Halloween mask, but it really turned out super! That's kind of funny that the dog really ate your home-work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous! You definitely did a lot of hands on learning - my favorite kind!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful lessons!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our dog has chewed up a few of our projects, and he looks about as sorry as your dog does about it.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete